Monday, July 9, 2012

Nothing's perfect

This is what I look like at 6am on a Saturday, waiting for Momma to share her breakfast with me, Momma looks sleepy too FYI. I know what you are thinking. Why the heck are you up at 6AM on a Saturday morning? Well, it's to eat some cheese slices, that allegedly have my nail trim medicines inside.
my sisters got some cheese slices too, but theirs weren't "spiked" . . . they shared Momma's feelings about 6am on a saturday.

You see friends, while I am an all around agreeable pooch, friendly with all of the same species, the human species (large and small) and some others specieses, I am not so agreeable to having my nails trimmed. Hey, nothing's perfect, not even me.

Momma has worked very hard to help dee-centerize (desensitize) me to it, which involves lots of treats and her moving the scary nail trimmers closer and farther to my feets. But honestly friends, while you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, you can not trim his nails! Well, you can, if you have the proper tools. . .
muzzle for safety, dremel (some dogs do better with a dremel than nail clippers), sedatives, and thank you presents for the vet staff (peanutbutter cheesecake nutella brownies i helped, errr, watched, SUPERVISED Momma make)

After a while, I start to feel a little funny, calm, a little sleepy, almost like my legs don't work.
you can sort of see how long my "talons" are in this photo
And thats when I know it's time to leave. Now then, forget that I am about 12 years old, and forget that I have some germs, and forget that I am under the influence of the spiked cheese slices . . . I LOVE LOVE LOVE going for car rides!
My friends at the vet clinic were very sweet to me. And my nails were trimmed without a hitch (okay, I said one not nice word, and my Auntie's in the scrubs tattled to Momma about it). Back at home my sisters gave me the once-sniff-over, and were very curious where I went. Frankly, I was too darn tired to chat . . .
The mani/ped looks good though eh?! I'm lucky to have my Momma, and Auntie's in the scrubs who don't mind my imperfections. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Bestfriend: you are not the only one! Ms Mae is not a fan of the clipper thingys either and even less of a fan of the whirllygig that trims your nails!!

    Our understanding that we've come to is that if she doesn't see her feets being manicured AND she gets a cookie after hearing the "click" then she pretends likes she is brave :o) She is brave and so are you!

    Love the bum wiggles for car ride, no one would guess your a wise elderbull of 12 yrs!

    Maisy's Mama

    ReplyDelete